Monday, September 15, 2008

A Day in the Life... of an Incest Survivor


So, what does it mean to be an incest survivor? SURVIVAL.

I survived. I am a survivor. That's what I do...whatever life throws at me, I survive.

I did whatever I had to do each and every day to survive that day, to live to see the next day. No matter how degrading, abhorrent, or painful...I did what I had to to survive. I am proud of that. I was strong, and I survived. I am also ashamed of some of the things I did to survive. Ashamed, deeply ashamed of what was done to me, of the loss of myself as a person, of the loss of my voice.

But, now I am beyond those days. I am over it. Right?
Am I?
Will I ever be?

To this day, even married to a wonderful, loving, caring, understanding man, whom I love dearly and deeply, I have a very hard time with intimacy. Emotional intimacy, physical intimacy... It doesn't matter.
I prefer to be alone.
Alone is safe. Alone is peaceful.

I guess, after so many years of having to worry about and cater to my fathers "needs', that I just could really care less about spending the rest of my life worrying about anyone else s needs. For example; I could very happily live the rest of my life without sex. Truly. I might masturbate on rare occasions to relieve stress or pressure or whatever, but, sex with a partner.. uh uh. Don't need it. Really pretty much don't want it. And feel VERY pressured to "perform" as it were when my husband is in the mood. Does he pressure me? NO. Not knowingly. The pressure is entirely my childhood haunting me. In other words, its all in my head.

Knowing and understanding that does not make it easier. Knowing that does not make me enjoy sex.

So, what's the answer? And, as long as I live feeling this way, am I truly a survivor?

I wonder if I will ever truly get over my childhood. Will I ever be capable of giving to my husband as he deserves? I wonder if I will get past it once and for all.
Which really and truly pisses me off beyond words. It happened. For a long time. It was terrible. But... IT'S OVER!! So, why the hell can't I get over it already? Why can't I suck it up and deal? Why can't I just relax and enjoy touching and being touched?

Why must I always fight and fight and fight this internal battle with myself whenever I feel that my husband wants sex? Weeks of putting him off, making excuses, hiding the real feeling of utter panic. Finally giving in when I get to the point that I feel completely pressured and frustrated with the need to give him what he needs. I feel resentful. Angry. Ashamed. Frustrated. Irritated. Why can't I get past this?
He does not deserve this.
He deserves someone so much better and healthier than I am.
I wish I were better.

3 comments:

M said...

I have not been where you are, so I don't claim to know about it. But, I totally understand the guilt, anxiety, and panic over being intimate with your husband. I tried and tried to explain it to him, he never understood. It ended up forcing him to find it elsewhere.

I truly hope you can get over it, I think I have. No idea how, but I think I have.

Undomesticated said...

I can feel you on this one.
With my first marriage I was very open about my dislike of sex. There were times he could touch me just right and in an instant I was that little girl again. It wasn't fair to either of us.
This time around I have a better handle on it. I can't say I'm over it because I still struggle with it. I think I just got better at hiding it.

Anonymous said...

It breaks my heart to read this and to think of other little girls (and boys) who are being molested right now and will still be thinking about this years from now. :(

I wish it had never happened to you.

Do you think your husband understands though? I mean, that is a really tragic past and if you love someone you love ALL of them. I don't know him, but I bet he feels horrible about what happened to you.