Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympics 2008


I LOVE the Olympics.
I love watching the best athletes in the world compete to determine the very best in the world.
But, I especially love that there are winners and losers.
In general, those that have the most talent, work and train the hardest and longest, and have the most heart and guts win. Those who don't, lose.
In our country today with its suburbs and soccer moms, apparently winners and losers have been done away with.
Let's not hurt little Johnny or Jane's feelings by telling them that the other team was better than them and they lost.
Let's not encourage them to work harder, train harder, and become resolute and focused... let's instead have them play a game with no purpose, no goal, no chance to become exceptional.
My sons began team sports at age four, when I could no longer keep them off a wrestling mat. They were both attending their uncles wrestling matches from newborn age. When my oldest son turned four, my brothers were coaching a pee-wee wrestling group, and talked me into allowing J to participate. I thought he was too young. But, finally, I gave in, and I must admit; it was the best thing I could have done for my son. So, D was allowed to do the same, and today wrestles Varsity at his high school.
Allowing him to participate, practice, learn, train and gain confidence were awesome to watch. It was hard to watch him lose a match. But, whenever he would lose, after the match he and I would talk together about what had happened during his match and what he could do next time to perhaps do better. Sometimes, he had to accept that the other wrestler was just simply better than him! Horrors!
I must be a terrible parent to allow my son to be faced with the fact that sometimes people will be better than him at something. That sometimes he will lose. The other guy will win.
And he will just have to suck it up and deal.
Wonder what would happen to the Olympics if there were no winners or losers? If the officials just stood all the athletes at the podium and said "you were all awesome! nobody won, nobody lost!"
blech.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed 100%.

I think it sucks that kids play sports now and there are no winners or losers. What a crock! What kind of reality does that teach them? It's certainly not the way it works in life for sure.

M said...

Can I get an AMEN!?!?!