Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In a quandary

I am in a quandary here folks. I don't know who to vote for.
I tend not to agree with either party most of the time, and actually spent the last half of last year desperately hoping Michael Bloomburg would run for president, so that I would have someone with at least half a brain to vote for.
Just so you know, I tend to be Conservatively Liberal. Frustrating, I know. And, frankly a bit nerve making since I am moving to what is quite possibly the most conservative state in the nation. (And I felt out of place in Ohio!)
Anyway.
YES, I am a tree-hugger. Of sorts. I think saving the environment is important. HOWEVER... I DO think we need to open up the Alaskan Oil Fields for drilling. The critters will learn to deal and adapt. Really. We truly need to get FAR away from Mid-east Oil. If that will help us.. then I say GO FOR IT.
YES, I think gays should have the same rights as married couples as we do. I do not feel that exposing children to alternative lifestyles is going to corrupt their little minds. People are people, and love is love. What people do with their lives, as long as it does not harm others, is between them and God, and is really not my business.
I personally do not believe in abortion. But, I would not have the audacity to tell another woman that she could not have one simply because I don't believe in it. I do not, however, believe that late term abortion should be legal in any way.
I am for the death penalty in cases of proven murder, rape and severe child abuse.
I believe that law abiding citizens should have the right, always, to bear arms and to defend themselves and their families.
I support our soldiers unequivocally. My husband was Army for six years. As far as I am concerned, for the most part, they are the bravest men and women in the world and are standing between Americans and the terrorists. (Then there are the idiot soldiers who toss puppies off cliffs - http://www.tosspuppy.com/)
But, in general, they are great people standing for America.
I don't feel that we should have gone to war in Iraq. America should not be the world's policemen. However, since we DID go to war, we need to stay and finish the job, and do it right.

I know... sometimes I even confuse myself with the wanderings of my mind.
But, as far as how to vote in this election... I have NO clue. Hilary is (for a highly intelligent woman) a complete idiot. Obama is just scary. And John McCain... well... just the thought of yet another Republican in office is enough to make my blood run cold. Our country will bankrupt itself if that happens. We will be back to breadlines.
I really really wish Bloomburg had run.
If you have any cogent theories to share, feel free. I could use the help making up my mind.

2 comments:

Barney said...

Hi. Found your blog through Abby. Funny, you don't sound like a liberal. ;-)
I guess the real litmus test is Personal Responsibility.
Welcome to Texas. Hope you like it. Me and my family moved here to the DFW area 5 years ago. I'm retired military so have lived in a lot of places. Some were very nice. This is nice.
I don't think I could recommend anyone to vote for in this election. I, personally, will not vote for either of the Dem candidates. To give you some insight into the depth of my feeling on this matter, I would give leave to a man to stand on my grave if he needed it to piss in the eye of Obama or Hillary. I consider myself mostly conservative, but do not either like or trust McCain. I will vote to keep either of the Dems from being elected though. I have a couple of dear friends who will vote for Hillary (not in Texas though). I hope they will not be too disappointed at the results of the election. Of course, I hope that for all of us.
Again, welcome to Texas. I'm not real familiar with areas outside DFW but I might be able to answer some general questions.

Lonestar Gal said...

Barney,
Thanks for the comment, and the welcome. We are actually moving to an area just outside Plano, so I will be a neighbor of sorts. Considering that suburbs of DFW stretch out for miles! Ha Ha.
Glad to know I am not alone in NOT wanting to vote for any of the candidates.
Thanks for dropping by, and come back soon.
Now I need to go check out your blog. ;o)