Thursday, April 24, 2008

My other son is a genius too!

So, as it says on my sidebar, I have two sons. J is 18 and D is 16. They are both great young men, but sometimes the strange ways their minds work just confuses me to no end. Guys just are not logical.
Let me explain:
Monday I was home sick, and had just lay down on my bed to try to rest a bit when my phone rang. It was the school calling.
"Hello, this is L from _________ School calling"
"Hi L! What's up?"
"Well, I was calling to see if J is with you?"
I was confused. J and D had hopped in J's truck at the normal time this morning, headed off to school.
"Umm, noo, he is there at school, with you" I replied.
"I think I need to explain the situation here for you" she said. "A little while ago, a woman called here, said she was J's mom, was stranded with a flat tire at Wal-Mart, and needed him to come help her get her car going again".
(I have to admit, I was insulted. I would NOT call my son out of school to come change a flat tire for me! I would cuss, kick said flat, jump around holding my sore toe for a few moments, then change the damn tire myself! Plus, I don't shop at Wal-Mart - they don't double coupons.)
Anyway, L continues on with her story...
"Well, I called J down to the office, and told him that you needed him to meet you a Wal-mart, had him sign out, and he left. When I looked out the window, I saw him leaving in a truck with his friends J, P, and A. Just a couple of minutes later, a guy called, said he was J's step-father, and had made a doctor appointment for J, and needed him to leave school and meet him at home to go to the appointment".
All his life, whenever J tries to do something sneaky, I bust him out. You would think he would learn. I just shook my head, eyes closed in frustration as I listened in disbelief to the tale of his inept attempt to skip school.
"Thanks for clueing me in L, give me a few minutes to get hold of him, and I will send him back to school". I said this in a very resigned voice. My sons are brain surgeons in the making, I tell you.
So, knowing my son as I do, I sent him a text message "Hey". (He often texts me from school, so I knew he would suspect nothing)
He sends back "what's up".
I reply... CALL ME RIGHT NOW!.
I tell you, I could literally hear him saying "oh shit...busted" to his buddies.
I waited a few minutes. No call. So, I called him. And he answered!
"J" says I, in my calm, quiet voice that generally scares the crap out of anyone hearing it because it means MOM IS VERY ANGRY. "Where are you?"
"ummm" he replies in his own special way.
"Get your butt BACK in school RIGHT NOW! Then come home immediately after school so I can kill you!"
He says "I'm busted right? How did you find out?"
"You goofball, if you are gonna try to use your parents to skip out of school, don't have TWO people call in with TWO different stories to get you out!"
His response?
"Mom, you have to admit, it was a good plan except for the miscommunication! I asked one person to do it, and she said no, so I asked another friend who was gonna do it for me. I guess my friend decided to do it anyway".

You know what scares me the most? In a little more than a month, this brilliant, wonderful boy will graduate and move out on his own. He will not survive out there. He is going to end up moving back in with us, and staying FOREVER!
A brain surgeon I tell you!

3 comments:

Murphy said...

Whoopsi. Hopefully, it's an experience that'll teach him that communication and coordination towards desired goals is an important part of the planning process... for uh, better purposes, of course.

M said...

I'm not sure who you are or where you came from.....................but thank you. I truly truly thank you.

Acrimony said...

Blog hopped my way over to you.

So did he get in trouble at school too for being busted in the lie? I have to agree with him though, he did a good job except for the miscommunication. LOL