Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sad, Sick and Screwed Up World

By way of Xavier, we caught this news article that made me really sad. Pippa Bacca a performance artist attempting to spread a message of peace, was found raped and strangled, her body dumped on the side of a road.
Every day, I, and thousands of others the world around, work to stop the spread of violence against women.
Unfortunately, for every one of US out there, there are probably five scumbags for whom life has no value. They think only of their own sick, perverse desires and will do whatever it takes to get what they want, no matter who is broken, killed or destroyed spiritually.
I can't tell you how many times I have been asked "how can you do that work? How can you deal with that trauma day after day?" by people after I explain what I do.
My response is this: How can I NOT do what I do?
I guess a little background is needed here.
I am a survivor of incest and child sexual abuse at the hands of my father for the first half of my life. I have always felt that the word "abuse" is much too tame and gentle a word. It does not come close to describing the destruction one person can cause to another.
So, having come through, having survived, how can I not use my experiences to help those who are newly victimized?
What would my life be worth if I just buried what had been done to me and ignored what is being done to other women, girls, and yes, men and boys by the same type of scumbag that destroyed my life?
It is not something I can turn my back on, nor pretend it does not exist. Can you?

1 comments:

Murphy said...

I'm sorry to hear of your horrible experiences, but am somewhat comforted by the fact that you have obviously grown to be a stronger person for it, and that you are using you past and strength to help others.