Friday, April 11, 2008

It was one of those days


Today was one of those days that make you want to pull your hair out by the roots, then bash your bald head repeatedly into the nearest solid object. Preferably a wall.
Firstly, regardless of the rather large stack of work waiting for my attention today, I had to leave after only half a day because with all the events we have going on for SAAM, (Sexual Assault Awareness Month) I have racked up enough comp. hours this week alone to take off a day and a half sometime real soon. Hmmm... Monday and Tuesday perhaps? Nahh, I'll save them for AFTER this month is over and I am reeling from exhaustion.
Anyway...
The deal on the house we were hoping to purchase in TX fell through today. Sad face. Our agent emailed me some documents that needed to be signed and sent back TODAY. No problem, right?
Yeah.
So. I get home, open my email and download the documents. Then hit "print". Nothing happened. "This document failed to print". No shit sherlock! For whatever reason, my printer is no longer recognizing my PC. yay. So, I go to hubby's PC and do the entire process over again. It prints out just ducky. Good to go. Get the papers signed, put them in my scanner to upload them for emailing. Nothing happened. I didn't even get an error message. Nothing.
Grrrr.
Well, the documents have to be back in the agent's hands before the close of business today. So, I hopped in my car and ran down to the library to get them faxed. "Sure, V, we can fax those for you at $1 per page!" says the perky library gal. A DOLLAR per page! Egads! Ok, fine, I need them sent.
Perky library gal loads them into the fax, punches in the number, page one sends, page two gets halfway into the fax... then stops. And nothing happens.
Unable to figure out the problem, perky library gal refers me to the bank across the street. I dodge farmer john's truck and run across to the bank. "Sure, we can fax those for you... no problem" so I hand over the documents, she runs them through the fax no problem.
However, by this time, I trust nothing and no one so, I call the agent. "hmm.. let me check. Nope, nothing in the fax. Did you send them to 214-***-****?" Yep. "Hmm.. Strange"
So.
I run back to the library where perky library gal informs me that the fax is once again working just fine. I hand over the papers yet AGAIN. She loads them into the fax, punches the number in and ... yep, you guessed it. Nothing!
By this time, I am a raving loon.
"Do you perchance have a scanner?" asked I, in my calmest, I'm about to go postal voice.
"Yes, but I don't know how to use it" replies perky library gal.
"I do, I do! Please, please, please let me use your scanner" I think there might even have been a tear tossed in with the begging. I know... pathetic. But, what can ya do?
So, she takes me back to the office, I get the papers scanned, attached them to an email and away they went. Finally.
It's a conspiracy, I am sure of it. Machines hate me.
Come to think of it... I'm not to fond of them at the moment.
Anybody remember that Stephen King movie where all the machines went nuts? "Maximum Overdrive" I think it was called. Seriously grade B movie with Emilio Estevez in it? I swear I heard that fax machine snicker.

0 comments: