Thursday, April 3, 2008

Well, I've Done It

So. Today was both happy and sad. At one point, I was actually laughing and crying at the same time. We found out today that the people accepted the offer we made on a house in the Lonestar State and we close in May.
I also, in preparation for the move and to give them time to find a replacement, turned in my resignation at the most amazing job I have ever worked. June 20th will be my final day. Hence, the both happy and sad.
How many people out there can honestly say that they look forward to going to work in the morning? I do. I love my job. I love knowing that every day that I go to work, I touch someone's life in a positive way. I help people. That's what I do. It's who I am.
For example; I was the opening speaker at a "Take Back The Night" event last week. I found out that I was the opening speaker about ten minutes before I stood before the mic and had zero time to prepare anything. I guess that's why it came straight from my heart. Several days later, I happened to be speaking with one of my volunteers who is a senior at the university where the event took place. She told me that at least three others found the courage to stand up and speak about the atrocities they had been subjected to, because of my speech. How powerful is that?
It began thusly;
"Hello everyone, it is wonderful to see so many of you here tonite, willing to stand up to resolve violence against women. My name is_________ and I am the Volunteer Recruiter for ________ Crisis Center. But, before I began work for ________, I was a victim. At the age of four, I was taught the proper way to perform oral sex by my teenage male babysitter. I thought it was a game. He was nice, and I really liked him. He took me places, brought me little presents. I did not know there was anything wrong with what he was doing, and so, I never told anyone. I was ten the first time my father molested me...".
I has taken me 20 years to be able to speak comfortably, without shame, about the horrors I suffered at the hands of my father. Now, I use my life experiences to help other rape and incest survivors.
The bastard DID NOT WIN! I am stronger than he.
So... now all I have to do is locate a rape crisis center in or near our new town that is looking for an awesome Volunteer Recruiter...
Piece of cake.

0 comments: