Monday, May 5, 2008

My Life.... Part 3.... A funny bit

I remember when we were living in tents and building the cabin, my parents and baby brother slept in one canvas tent, and I and my three other brothers (my older brothers still spent summers with us) shared another. We had these old army cots to sleep on. I have always had very vivid dreams and nightmares, even more vivid nightmares when I am sick, and as a child I used to walk in my sleep.
One night I had this truly terrifying nightmare, I don't remember exactly what I dreamed about (c'mon...I was eight at the time! Sheesh! I hate to think how long ago that was), but I remember climbing out of my cot, opening the tent and running, screaming, through the woods to the dirt road, all done while in this crazy dream haze, half awake and still asleep.
I stood in the middle of the dirt road and screamed like I was being murdered. I remember my parents running through the woods towards me, my father in tighty-whities and big boots, shotgun in hand, and my mom in her shortie nightie. They both looked terrified.
Apparently they thought a bear had attacked our tent and was chasing me.
I think I slept with a flashlight for a month after that.
Oh, and we did see bear tracks a few times during the years we lived at the cabin, especially around the pond, but never actually saw a bear.

1 comments:

none said...

Sleepwalking is scary. I think it happens a lot more when kids have a fever.