Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Never Again

I am lying on a reclining medical chair, pillow behind my head, IV needle in my hand, and two IV bags hanging from a hook on the wall above my head.
I feel kind of dizzy, and strange. Not bad. Sleepy. Two hours into the treatment, four more to go.
I doze off, my book falls to my chest.
A few minutes later, that dizzy, strange feeling changes things up a bit. My chest feels heavy. I pick up my book and move it to the table beside me. My chest still feels heavy. It is taking more effort to breath. The nurse looks over and asks the frequently asked question "are you doing ok? Any changes?" This time, instead of saying alls good, I tell her about the heaviness.
Instantly, things in this room full of IV attached patients start to move pretty quickly.
The IV drip is turned off, only the saline is running. The doctor is called and less than a minute goes by before she is there.
Meanwhile, the heaviness in my chest has spread upward, and my throat is swelling at an alarming rate, making breathing more a real chore than an unconscious action.
The doctor orders 1000 units of steroids and 25 units of Benadryl to counteract the allergic reaction. No change, swelling continues. I now fairly closely resemble an NFL Linebacker in the neck region. Doc orders another 400 units of steroids and another 25 of Benadryl.
The waiting begins.
Slowly, the heaviness in my chest lightens a bit. The swelling in my throat begins to go down over the course of the next 40 minutes, and breathing gets a bit easier.
Doc comes to check on me and actually said "once the reaction is completely under control, with the massive amounts of steroid and benadryl we have given you, we can go ahead and start the IV drip again".
(WTF?!?!?!)
I literally had to bite my tongue to keep from asking if she was high.
HELLO!! My body has just quite convincingly demonstrated to me that I am ALLERGIC to this chemical cocktail! HELL NO you are not starting it back up the second I can fricking breathe again!
So now, I am home, sicker than hell and my heart is all wonky from the massive doses of steroids now jumping throughout my bod along with two hours worth of chemicals. Doc tells me that my heart will feel like this for a couple days. YAY.
Gotta love modern medicine.

5 comments:

Undomesticated said...

Holy Crap! Are you ok? I'm with you I don't think I could actually let them do that to me again.

Lonestar Gal said...

Yes, thanks, I am better this morning. Still wonky from the steroids, but pretty good in general.

Anonymous said...

UGH!!!! One of the worst things is taking medication and having a side affect that creates another problem! Feel better! (I love the word "wonky")

M said...

Oh wow!! I'm just now catching up on blogs. I hope you're doing better.

fwiw, my aunt is a drug rep. She previously sold Remicade, not sure what she's into now. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Lonestar Gal said...

Thanks all!