Saturday, May 24, 2008

A short respite


Ahhhhh. Peace and quiet. No sound but the hum of the computer and the clicking of the keys on the keyboard. Sunshine streaming through the window and the chirping of birds.
This is my world at this moment.
Peaceful and lovely. And I am most definitely taking advantage of it while I have it!
J is off working. D spent the night at a buddies house. Hubby just left and will return at approximately 5pm, and the dogs are outside in their play yard.
The sun is shining, birds are singing, and the world is a happy place. And, since all of that is about to change, I intend to wring every bit of relaxation I can get out of this one day, 'cuz it has to last me.
Hubby is on his way to Indianapolis to pick up two of his kids.
So. Two more testosterone flooded humans are about to descend upon my world. Don't get me wrong, I am not the stereotypical wicked stepmother. I have a great relationship with the kids, and love them to death. But. They are high maintenance kids.
For example: Their mother has never made them eat healthy food. That's pretty much all I make. Every meal is a litany of "I don't like that" with my oldest stepson gagging at the table before a bite even touches his lips.
She has never allowed, nor made them, think or do for themselves. Example: my 16 y/o stepson cannot make himself something to eat if he is hungry. Nothing. Unless it is a frozen burrito that he can stick in the microwave, and then I have to tell him how to do it.
She has never given them any chores to do around the house. She actually told me once that, "my kids don't do chores" when we went to pick them up for a summer visit. I immediately responded with "They do at our house". She has always babied them and kept them essentially helpless. She insists that her kids be "allowed to be kids". I agree. Kids should be kids, because adulthood is coming and sticks around.
What she doesn't seem to understand is that in a few short years, these teens are going to leave and move out on their own, and they are in no way prepared to take care of themselves. She is really stunting their growth and maturity. They will have a real struggle ahead of them because they were never taught by their mom to do anything or to solve problems by themselves.
Being a kid does NOT mean that there are not lessons to be learned for the future.
So. When they come to our house... they have chores. They have to take turns with everyone else in the house at doing dishes, running the vacuum, dusting and cleaning bathrooms. And they have to clean up after themselves.
OH MY GOD THE TORTURE! HORRORS! I am even teaching them to cook!
Maybe she is right... maybe I am the evil stepmother.
I am evil incarnate, and should be destroyed.
In the meantime, I am going to take full advantage of the peace and quiet before they descend upon our world.

3 comments:

Undomesticated said...

My kids have been doing chores since they were about 5. Both learned how to cook early. Mostly because I am lazy but some because they need to know these things.

Lonestar Gal said...

I just figure that I am only going to be willing to play "mommy" for so long... then it is time for them to do for themselves. What kind of mom would I be if I did not prepare them for the day that I sell the house, buy an RV and hit the road? **snicker**
Thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

reminds me to shut things down for a while sometimes.