Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Stem Cells Anyone?


My Doctor is starting me on a new medication today that is such a horrendous mix of chemicals that they have to infuse them over a period of six hours. Fun times, fun times!
Yea. I'm thinkin' not.
When the insurance company approved (at up to $11,000 per dose) the medication change, I called to make the appointment. Now, for the past year, I have been getting Remicade through IV every six weeks and was able to schedule it for a Friday (my day off). With this crap, the nurse told me that I would have to come on a Wednesday, as they can only administer it when the doctor is in the office all day because they never know how a patient will respond to the cocktail!
For the love of God people! Can we make an effort to come up with something a little LESS likely to kill me?
So, since in the thirteen years since I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis (an Auto-Immune Disease in which my immune system is attacking and destroying any and all joint tissue) there has not been a medication that has worked for longer than a few months, a year at most, we are looking into ASC (Adult Stem Cell therapy).
Yes! It can be done, We can make her better, faster, stronger than ever before!
Oh, wait...Sorry for the Bionic Woman side-trip there.
I may have to go to Israel, or Japan, but apparently there is a process by which they can take stem cells from MY body, reprogram them, put them back in, and put me in total remission!
Sign me up people! Must do some further research into this. And, hubby mentioned yesterday that there may actually be some places here in the states that can do it. Picture the semi-cripple happy dance happening here at the thought of that!
Ok, gotta go get ready for this.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh well I hope you get some relief! I'm sure that is incredibly painful. :(