Friday, June 13, 2008

Graduation Day


It's been a very busy week, therefore, posts have been lacking.
Sorry about that.

Graduation day went just about as I had expected. I got up at 6am and started cooking for J's party. Between stirring four pots on the stove and chugging coffee like a stevedore, it was a busy morning.
The ceremony began at 1:30, and when the processional started and the grads walked into the room, I started to cry of course.
I know so many of these kids. Most of them have been to our home at one time or another. I have watched them grow from 8th grade midgets to adults. There were actually only about five to ten that I did not recognize. Many of them are my children by other mothers.
Hubby teared up right alongside me, (sorry honey!) although very manfully controlled the flow. (there. happy now?) He has raised these boys for the last eight years and loves them as his own. He was so proud of J., and has the blurry pictures to prove it. (Did you know that when you try to take pictures through tears, what you think is focused actually is not?)

J's father, step-mother, their new baby and grandmother came out for his graduation. I have no idea how I managed to be married to this man and his mother for so many years.
Anyway, their new baby is adorable. He actually looks a lot like D did when he was an infant.
Very cute.

The party went great, except for the fact that as usual, I made WAY too much food. We have been eating leftovers all week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so fine with seeing the ex with his new baby. I think that would bother me, but it sounds like you are happy in your life.

Congrats to your son and his friends! I hope he has a fantastic life!

I remember my high school graduation. My now-husband was there with his parents and he brought me a dozen roses. My mother came and was rude and made insulting comments about my dress. I'll never forget that. (Like it mattered when the dress was *under* a gown!)

That was 15 years ago. Ahhh. Time flies!

Undomesticated said...

Congrats to J and you! I'm glad the day went so great considering you spent it with people you would love to leave behind.

At my graduation my mom was so nervous she turned the camera off as I was walking in. She thought she was turning it on. :)

M said...

Congrats to J!!!

I don't know what I'll do when mine graduate. I'll probably turn into some bitchy old woman without my kiddos (although I'll only be 37 when my oldest graduates)

Glad the party went well and feel free to send some leftovers this way :)

Anonymous said...

better to have too much food than not enough! you dont want to be going out and ordering pizza because people are still hungry! heh. That's sweet about taking photos from tears, I hear ya.