Friday, June 20, 2008

Sad


Today is a sad day.
Today I became officially unemployed as I left my wonderful job in preparation for the move.
All my coworkers took me to a local Mexican restaurant for a lovely lunch, and went around the table each sharing something special about me that they appreciated.
According to them I am:
Very caring, dedicated, passionate, energetic, friendly, compassionate, devoted, assertive, a good listener, empathic, genuine, honest, organized, have a good sense of humor and a bizarre life that I share with amazing stories.

Then they handed me two bags of gifts; a book, a lovely CD, an absolutely gorgeous blown-glass ball with an adaptation of the "tree of life" in the center for our new home and a relaxation candle.
Each person had written a lovely message in the card. I felt so appreciated and loved.

I started at the crisis center as a volunteer Sexual Assault Response Advocate five years ago. A little under one year ago they hired me to recruit, train, and manage the volunteer program as well as spearhead the launch of the Stewards of Children child sexual abuse prevention program.

Now I need to break out my resume, dust it off, and hope like hell I can find another agency half as wonderful in Texas as the one I was part of here in Ohio.
I truly love these people I work(ed) with. I have made many lifelong friends, and I am sad to be leaving them.
I know that there are new adventures waiting for me in Texas... but for today... I am sad.

6 comments:

Undomesticated said...

I will trade places with you today. I don't want a job today. :)

Anonymous said...

well I'm sure the new and exciting things in Tx will make it all worth it.
It does suck leaving friends and comfort.

Good Luck on the job hunt in TX

Lonestar Gal said...

Undomesticated: There were days when I didn't especially want to go to work, no matter how wonderful my job was.
Southern Sage: Thanks for the well wishes, and you are right, it does suck leaving those you know and love for the unknown.
I have done it before, and it was great after a time, I am sure it will be great this time also.

Anonymous said...

I wish you luck finding your next job! I can't wait to hear about your adventure moving to TX. I've never even been there.

That's very cool how your coworkers described you and gave you such nice gifts!

none said...

I wish you the best of luck on your move and job search.

M said...

I hope you can find a place to work in Texas that needs a "Very caring, dedicated, passionate, energetic, friendly, compassionate, devoted, assertive, a good listener, empathic, genuine, honest, organized, have a good sense of humor and a bizarre life that I share with amazing stories" person.

I never knew you lived in OH. Your hubby drove through my neck of the woods on the way to IL.

Hope the moving process starts to go smoothly and you get in Texas soon!