Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Achin' Back!


Today was filled with all kinds of fun, exciting things to do!
First, last night and this morning, Wonderful Hubby (hereafter to be known as W.H.) and I pretty much had to dismantle the entire top part of the engine of my car to get to the broken Tie-Rod and replace it. Then I had to change my brakes, cuz they began grinding like mad on Thursday. And, YES, I did the work... and I have the broken thumbnail to prove it!

My next project was to mow our one acre lawn. Just picture dust, grass flying everywhere, sunburn and sneezes violent enough to cause me to wet myself. Loads of fun.

Then, this afternoon my friend came over and we painted the last room in the house that needed painting before we move next weekend. I WAS planning to box up most of the kitchen today also, but W.H. forgot to pick up another roll of bubble wrap for me when he went to Menard's today.

Then at about 6:00 this evening D walks in as I was giving serious thought to dying, and his face was white as a sheet.
"Mom, a deer just hit my car. I was on my way home and after I made the turn onto our road, this big ass buck jumped out from the ditch and hit the side of my car. It's wrecked"
"Watch your mouth please, and are you okay?" I asked (must have priorities here!)
"Yea, I'm fine... pretty freaked out though. It wasn't there! Then BAM!" (Which, if you have ever hit a deer, is pretty much EXACTLY how it happens!)
So I went out to look over the damage to the 1987 Nissan 300Z (which W.H. still drives (drove) back and forth to work until we move, then D was going to own it) and sure enough, it is pretty messed up. Apparently, the deer hit the drivers side front quarter panel, bounced out, then hit just behind the drivers door and slid down to the back bumper. Essentially the entire drivers side is wrecked, including the mirror (which is gone completely) except for the door. SO.
That vehicle will NOT be making the trip to Texas with the family. It is on its way to the happy junkyard in the sky, and we will give sonny the money from that so that he can combine it with what he has in the bank and get himself another vehicle once we make the move. W.H. is on the road again. Only this time he is headed west to Illinois. He left about an hour ago to take his boys back to their moms house. Ahhhhh... peace and quiet. Bliss.
Tomorrow I plan to go pick up the bubble wrap I needed today, and also some lumber so that I can build a new front stoop for the house, since the one we have is made of brick and falling apart. We are down to having only ONE room left to finish... hopefully we can get the drywall up monday and tuesday. I will mud it as we go along, and then the new owners, whoever they eventually end up being can slap some paint on it.
I am SO over this house. I can't even tell you. Have you ever seen the movie with Tom Hanks and Shelly Long "The Money Pit"? Yeah.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend...I need to go find the Ben-Gay.

4 comments:

M said...

WOW!! I work with mechanics and I have NO idea how to replace a tie rod or brakes. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very busy day!

LMAO at the junkyard in the sky. I remember cars like that one and they were cute!

Hope your back feels better!

Undomesticated said...

You are awesome. I only got off the couch once yesterday and that was to dump my kids out at camp for a week. :)
Hopefully you can take a bit of a break after next weekend.

Anonymous said...

very cool about the move. not cool about the deer!